Finding the perfect furry friend doesn’t have to be a soul search. Whether you have a pet of your own or are getting one for the first time, there are some benefits to adopting!
Adoption and shelters are usually overflowing with dogs that have either been given up for adoption or need a new home. Therefore, there is something extremely special in adopting and giving them all your love.
1. Second Chances - Dogs are usually surrendered or rescued from harmful homes for most shelter or adoption organizations. Adoption is a great way to give them a new and loving environment and help them live a great life. Some dogs may only know living in a shelter, and through adoption, you can give them a happy home and other adventures, too - like the fun events we have!
2. The choice of a younger or older dog - Whether you want a puppy to raise or live a more relaxed life with a senior dog, adoption gives you the option. Some people like to skip the puppy phase, and others prefer to train their dogs from a young age. Depending on if you have little ones at home or don’t live in the circumstances for a highly active dog, having the choice of a puppy or an older dog is excellent. Either is a great option for the owner and when you shop instead of adopting, you may lack possibilities for getting a furry friend.
3. No worries about training! - In most cases, some pets up for adoption have already been house-trained or have at least begun socializing with other dogs. Getting a trained dog is great, but bringing it into a new home can be a task, so you want to prepare as best you can! Getting a pet that is already able to adapt to a new home life can save a headache for some people who are trying to adopt! Being in a shelter or adoption organization also means the dog has been around other dogs and may do well going home to other dogs. You can also research by preparing your home for your furry friend.
4. Helping other dogs - Think about it. Even if you can’t take home all the dogs you get along with, just by adopting, you are making room for others that also need help. Shelters can overflow and cause harsh conditions for these animals. Having space is one of the most important things to them. Adopting and taking home a dog of yours means you can give all the love and attention to it while the shelter can focus more on the other dogs there. There are even opportunities at many shelters that you can take part in if you cannot adopt. Adoption and volunteering are great ways to save and care for these animals.
5. You’re gaining a best friend - Young or old, house-trained or not- and adding another bundle of joy to your home and family. Dogs are great best friends and can truly change your life. Whether they’re active and want to go on runs daily or if you want to bring them to a cafe like us, you are welcoming more love into your life and routine.
There are many reasons why adopting is better than shopping. Shelters and events like these can be great ways to keep the option on the table. Looking out for pets in shelters and even fostering can bring these animals (and you!) some joy. Boris & Horton was created to bring the community and their furry friends together with others just like them. Besides that, finding the perfect match for others is a big part of our mission, and through fundraisers and events, we hope these dogs find their forever home!
Looking to unleash some fun with your furry friends this summer? The warm weather and longer days make it the perfect time of year to visit a park with your pup. Dog parks are the paw-fect place to enjoy fresh air, get some exercise, and meet new friends!